Marion County School District will follow this plan to make up days lost due to the Governor's evacuation order, Hurricane Florence, subsequent flooding and Tropical Storm Michael:
Student (with the exception of Britton's Neck and Creek Bridge High School) were out of school for a total of 13 days. MCSD will use the following dates as Make-up Days due to the storms and flooding conditions:
1. October 12, 2018, originally planned as an in-service day is designated emergency/inclement weather day on our district calendar and will be used as Make-up Day #1. Please note that Thursday, October 11, will be a full day for students.
2. Monday, November 5, 2018, will be used as Make-up Day #2
3. Wednesday, December 19 will be a full day for students and Thursday, December 20th will be a half day. (this is actually #7, Make-up Day for Tropical Storm Michael)
3. January 3rd and 4th, 2019 will be Make-up Days #3 and #4
4. March 15, 2019, is scheduled as an emergency/inclement day and will be used as Make-up Day #5
5. April 22, 2019, is scheduled as an emergency/inclement day and will be used as a Make-up Day #6
The district will request the local board to approve a waiver of 3 days and the State Board of Education to waive 3 days to account for all 12 days out of school. The district will work with Britton's Neck and Creek Bridge High Schools to regain the extra 4 days they were out due to extensive flooding.
Using a unique venue, the living room, Dr. Kandace Bethea is on a mission to better connect with our community stakeholders by engaging in Living Room Listening Sessions.
Over the summer and fall, Dr. Bethea will be facilitating stakeholder sessions in living rooms across the county. The sessions are hosted by community members with 8-10 attendees.
On June 27, she kicked off the initiative in the Marion area. It was a lively discussion centered around district initiatives, challenges, successes, and future plans.
A special thank you to Mrs. Cindy Rogers for hosting this first session. Thank you to all of the participants as well!
If you are interested in hosting a session, please contact Deborah Wimberly at (843) 423-1811 or send her an email.
Follow us on Facebook as we are #GrowingBetterTogether!