About Our District
The Marion County School District is located in Marion County, a county which was established in 1785 and named in honor of General Francis Marion, the notorious “Swamp Fox” of the Revolutionary War. Marion County is a part of the Pee Dee region of South Carolina which is located in the northeastern corner of the state. It is the area of the lower watershed of the Pee Dee River, named after the Pee Dee Native American tribe. Nearby is the coast, an area predominantly involved in tourism and resorts with beaches, amusement parks, shopping, fishing, and golf. Marion County is located approximately 60 miles further inland and on higher ground offering a more agrarian culture growing such crops as tobacco, cotton, soybeans and produce.
Marion County consisted of four school districts (Marion One, Two, Three and Four) until 2000, in 2001 Marion Districts Three and Four consolidated and became District Seven. The three school districts operating in Marion County, prior to 2012 were Marion 1, which included the city of Marion, Marion 2 which operated in the Mullins area and Marion 7 which is the Britton’s Neck and Centenary areas.
The current building which houses the majority of the central services staff is a historic school building originally constructed in 1923 – 24. The two-story, classic revival style brick building served as a high school until 1975 when it became the home of Marion Elementary until 1994. The building was renovated in 2004 and now serves as the headquarters for the school district.